Chemical Development Principal Scientist I
Location: Charles City
Posted on: May 29, 2023
You Matter to Cambrex.
Cambrex is a leading global contract development and manufacturing
organization (CDMO) that provides drug substance, drug product, and
analytical services across the entire drug lifecycle. With more
than 40 years of experience and a growing team of over 2,400
professionals servicing global clients, Cambrex is a trusted
partner in branded and generic markets for API and dosage form
development and manufacturing.
Your Work Matters.
At Cambrex, we strive to build a culture where all colleagues have
the opportunity to:
- engage in work that matters to our customers and the patients
- learn new skills and enjoy new experiences in an engaging and
- strengthen connections with coworkers and the community
We're committed to attracting and nurturing a passionate team of
valued professionals in our fast-paced and growing company. We
offer a competitive benefits package that includes includes
healthcare, life insurance, planning for retirement, and more!
Your Future Matters.
Known for our customer-focused scientific and manufacturing
excellence, as well as our strong commitment to quality and safety,
we offer a range of career and growth opportunities across our
global network of locations. Together with our customers, we aim to
improve the quality of life for patients around the world. Start a
career where You Matter by applying today!
Position is directed toward optimization of existing chemical
routes and development of alternate chemistry toward key synthetic
intermediates and APIs. - Carries out multistep chemical synthesis
and product isolation/purification operations in the laboratory,
independently or as part of an integrated team. - Chemist utilizes
modern analytical tools to determine identity and purity of
products made during projects. - Communication with clients in
regular team meetings; prepares R&D reports at the conclusion
- Design and carry out multistep organic syntheses, isolation,
and purification of targeted products.
- Must possess a strong understanding of modern organic synthesis
- Must have a thorough understanding of modern analytical and
spectroscopic techniques and be able to interpret the corresponding
data and spectra. -
- Ability to conduct literature searches for specific target
compounds and be able to use the literature to base a design of
alternate routes to these compounds. - Requires ongoing
professional development to keep abreast of current scientific
literature and discuss these findings with colleagues.
- Must demonstrate a proficiency to carry out laboratory
syntheses and purification techniques on scales ranging from
milligrams to several kilograms, and design and implement process
- Requires excellent time management with the ability to manage
projects on-time without supervision.
- Ability to author and review comprehensive reports at the
conclusion of projects for internal and customer use. -
- Work closely with other chemistry and analytical laboratory
staff to coordinate project activities and resource usage.
- Work to ensure that a spirit of teamwork and cooperation always
exists within the group.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. - Maintain
familiarity with the company's chemical hygiene plan. - Exhibit
safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Follow responsible actions regarding chemical disposal. -
Maintain compliance with all regulations at the federal, state, and
- Must demonstrate effective communication skills (both
interpersonal and presentations). - Participate in project team
meetings with customers.
- Work closely with manufacturing and GMP operations to
coordinate project related equipment and activities.
Education, Experience & Licensing Requirements
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or related field with minimum 6 years of
experience or M.S. in Chemistry or related field with minimum 10
years of experience or B.S. degree in Chemistry or related field
with 14 years of experience in lab environment, pharmaceutical
- Demonstrated ability to scale up pharmaceutical processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication/interpersonal
skills, organizational skills, and the ability to work in a diverse
team environment are essential.
- Organic Chemistry Knowledge: Beginning to demonstrate an
understanding of advanced theories in Organic Chemistry/Process
- Cross Discipline Knowledge: Higher level of understanding of
the principles of cross-functional departments, including
analytical chemistry and engineering.
- GMP/Regulatory Knowledge: Demonstrated understanding of
industrial GMP and practical application to Cambrex programs; Some
ability to provide feedback to clients re: clinical
- Instrumentation: Advanced knowledge of HPLC, NMR, MS, automated
reactor platforms, in-situ reaction monitoring, and ability to
train and troubleshoot problems with equipment (and help
- Communication: Good written and oral communication skills,
ability to communicate with clients without manager
- Problem Solving: Strong demonstration of problem solving,
ability to lead investigations.
- Time Management: Able to maintain timeline of key activities
and use time efficiently; ability to handle projects without
supervision, though requires regular check-in with
- Leadership: Demonstrated record of mentorship and development
of peers, partner lines and ability to support initiatives within
- Technical Documentation and Review: Ability to author and
review key technical documents with minimal RFT errors. - Can write
new SOP with manager assistance, keep current lab notebook while
- External Influence: Ability to lead local project teams and
steer clients to desired outcomes; ability to work with management
to develop key local laboratory-based initiatives.
- Industry Credibility and Rapport: Recognized scientific leader
within the Cambrex organization, locally and possibly beginning to
extend to other sites.
- Operational Excellence: Actively participates in key
operational excellence initiatives.
- Change Orientation: Active participation and support for
implementation of Cambrex system level changes/initiatives.
Cambrex is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and
will consider all qualified applicants for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or
Cambrex Charles City offers an extraordinary opportunity, a
competitive salary, and an exceptional benefits package including
medical, dental, vision care and prescription, life, LTD, STD;
401(k) with employer match; tuition reimbursement; and the 'Arthur
I. Mendolia Scholarship Program.' Relocation assistance will be
offered for this position. -
Keywords: Cambrex, Rochester , Chemical Development Principal Scientist I, Other , Charles City, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...