Classification Title Working Title Physical Education and Sport
Science (Assistant Professor) Position Type Faculty Division
Academic Affairs Department College of Education Unit Physical Educ
Science Location Winona, MN FLSA Exempt Full/Part Time Full Time
FTE 1.0 Employment Condition Probationary/Tenure-Track (9 Month
Appointment) Work Shift Work Schedule/Hours/Days Posting
POSITION: Physical Education and Sport Science
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled; Review begins June 11,
RANK/TITLE: Assistant Professor
TYPE OF APPOINTMENT: Probationary/Tenure Track; Nine-Month
SALARY: Commensurate w/ Experience
APPOINTMENT DATE: August 16, 2021
PRIMARY LOCATION: Winona
Salary Minimum Salary Maximum Salary Type Bargaining Unit/Plan
209, IFO Job Description
- The incumbent would be expected to teach courses that would
include, but are not limited to: fundamentals of adventure
education, outdoor pursuits, climbing wall instruction and
certification, challenge course instruction and certification,
adventure education practicum supervision, physical education
general education program courses, physical education teacher
- Instruct courses in varied locations, at varied times, and via
various media commensurate with department and university
- Engage in scholarly research or creative achievement to enhance
knowledge of field.
- Provide evidence of continuing preparation and study in the
field to enhance teaching abilities.
- Contribute to student growth and development including student
- Support Winona State University's mission to enhance the
intellectual, social, cultural, and economic vitality of the people
and communities we serve. Provide service to the university and
community including the program, department, college, university
and greater community.
- Assist with programmatic accreditation
- Assist with growth in the Physical Education and Sport Science
- Assist with student recruitment to Winona State University
- Earned Master's Degree in Education Leadership, Leadership
Education or Physical Education
- Three (3) years of experience teaching university courses in
physical education adventure education
- Experience teaching fundamental physical education courses
focusing on adventure education and outdoor pursuits including
- Experience with adventure trip programming within physical
education adventure education programs
- Certified as a Climbing Wall Instruction, Single Pitch
Instructor, and Indoor and Outdoor Course Provider
- Certified as a Wilderness Medicine Instructor from National
Outdoor Leadership School or Wilderness Medicine Association
- Certified as a Wilderness First Aid Instructor and a Leave No
- Skills/ability to integrate technology to enhance learning and
- Demonstrated commitment to quality teaching.
- Experience serving as a club advisor for adventure
- Experience advising students in physical education and
- Experience with some or all of the following teaching delivery
methods: traditional, online, hybrid.
- Documented facility and risk management training
- Documented grant writing experience within university and
- Documented fundraising experience
- Experience teaching winter activities including camping, ice
- Experience with Challenge Course facilitation and
A cover letter which addresses the qualifications listed
Curriculum Vitae/ Resume;
Transcripts (undergraduate and graduate);
A statement explaining your personal or professional experiences
in working with diverse populations (such as persons from differing
race / ethnic background, sexual orientation, age, gender, or
mental and physical ability) as well as how the applicant would
contribute toward a diverse and inclusive academic and employment
culture and community at Winona State University. Statements should
be 1 page or less;
- Contact Information for at least 3 references, with addresses
and telephone numbers.
About Winona State University: Founded in 1858, Winona State
University (WSU) is the oldest member of the Minnesota State System
of colleges and universities. Today WSU serves approximately 7,500
undergraduate and graduate students across two campuses in Winona
and Rochester, Minnesota (MN). Winona State was named the
second-best public institution in Minnesota by U.S. News & World
Report's "Best Colleges," was listed among the "Best in the
Midwest" by The Princeton Review, and named as one of "America's
100 Best College Buys."
Benefits: WSU offers a comprehensive benefit package including
life, health and dental insurance, a retirement program, tuition
waiver for employee and dependents, as well as a variety of other
benefits as defined by the individual Collective Bargaining
For information on our benefits (Medical and Dental Insurance;
Life Insurance; Disability and Long-Term Care; Pre-Tax Benefits;
and Health and Wellness), please refer to SEGIP's website (http://mn.gov/mmb/segip/index.jsp).
For information on Minnesota State's Retirement Plan(s), please
Posting Number 2020/2021-58 Number of Vacancies 1 Re-posting No
Desired Start Date 08/16/2021 Position End Date (if temporary) Open
Date Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Accept Applications Yes
Special Instructions Summary Posting Contact email@example.com Equal
Employment Opportunity Statement
Winona State University is an Equal Opportunity
employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We
prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on
their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin,
disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with
regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity,
gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined
by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and
encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with
disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have a Master's Degree in Physical Education, Education
Leadership or Leadership Education?
- Do you have at least three (3) years of experience teaching
university courses in physical education adventure education?
- Do you have experience teaching fundamental physical education
focusing on adventure education and outdoor pursuits including
- Do you have experience with adventure trip programming within
physical education adventure education programs?
- Are you certified as a Climbing Wall Instructor, Single Pitch
Instructor and Indoor and Outdoor Course Provider?
- Are you certified as a Wilderness Medicine Instructor from
National Outdoor Leadership School or Wilderness Medicine
- Are you certified as a Wilderness First Aid Instructor and
Leave No Trace Trainer?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Diversity Statement