Software Engineer II
Company: Benchmark Electronics
Posted on: February 14, 2019
SOFTWARE ENGINEER II with our Design Engineering Team
LOCATION: Rochester, MN
The Software Engineer II designs software for customers products and related applications. Coordinates software engineering strategies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND COMPETENCIES
* Design and document software for customer products and/or related applications to support the manufacturing environment, if applicable, meeting both the customers requirements and internal manufacturing requirements.
* Provide assistance to the Hardware Design, Mechanical Design, Printed Circuit Board Design, Functional Test and In-Circuit Test for product, test and tooling development.
* Perform basic evaluation of quality measurements on software code design in accordance with a verification plan.
* Contact and work with hardware, software and equipment vendors.
* Follow project plan and report project status to leadership.
* Assist in the coordination of software engineering strategies for customers.
* Assist with Design for Excellence (DFX) reviews; Create necessary documentation.
* Develop an understanding of DFX philosophy and promote with customers.
* Work with customers to understand requirements regarding software design.
* Work with Sustaining Engineering (product, process, test and quality) to develop products that leverage manufacturing and test processes.
* Participate in the development of advanced/new technologies.
* Participate in research and development for new design methods and tools.
* Participate in a continuous improvement activity with complete documentation, including a follow up review with the team in a presentation format.
* Perform evaluation of quality measurements on software designs in accordance with a verification plan.
* Create documentation related to a software design project.
* Develop and follow project plan, gather status and report project status to leadership and the customer.
* Provide project level leadership and organization, as required, for multiple concurrent projects.
* Develop project proposals and associated cost estimates.
* Perform portions of DFX efforts and create necessary documentation.
* Communicate with customer technical personnel regarding technical issues.
* Assist in driving design/development related business discussions on customer team(s).
* Work with customers to understand customer requirements regarding a product design.
* Work with manufacturing support groups to understand the requirements of the production environment.
* Provide project leadership, mentoring and training for less experienced engineers.
* Assist with developing and deploying processes and systems within the workgroup.
* Provide assistance and technical leadership to Hardware Design, Mechanical Design, PCB Design, Functional Test and ICT test for product, test and tooling development.
* Identify and communicate technical challenges and implement solutions.
* Drive software design strategy development discussions on Benchmark customer team(s).
* Develop and deploy processes and systems within the workgroup.
* Participate in identification and development of advanced/new technologies.
* Provide research and development for new methods for software design and the utilization of software and hardware tools.
* Recognized senior expert for technical problem-solving beyond use of typical methods.
* Investigate new technologies and implement a plan to infuse new technologies as design solutions.
* Provide technical support to team members and on complex projects.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
* Demonstrate effective use of lab test equipment.
* Demonstrate a good understanding of software programming techniques; Ability to utilize this level of understanding to creatively and efficiently design software for products and assemblies based on various applications and technologies.
* Demonstrate understanding of various advanced technologies: BIOS, Real Time Operating System (RTOS) Application code, etc.
* Demonstrate the ability to work within the Engineering Services group and project teams.
* Understanding of advanced technology integration and applications.
* Make recommendations, using sound engineering principles and techniques with leadership guidance depending, on the content and complexity of a situation.
* Effective organization and prioritization skills.
* Demonstrate a strong working knowledge of word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications.
* Proven ability to complete projects in a timely manner.
* Ability to support a 24/7 global business operation as required.
* Demonstrate discretion, confidentiality and professionalism when representing the company.
* Excellent written and verbal communication, as well as presentation skills.
* Ability to work well individually or in teams.
* Demonstrate ability to work effectively with suppliers or customers.
* Understanding of and ability to use continuous improvement tools.
* Demonstrate a solid knowledge of software languages and programming techniques, revision control and verification and validation techniques.
* Demonstrate a solid understanding of mechanism design; Ability to creatively and efficiently design mechanical portions of products, tooling and test fixtures based on various applications and technologies.
* Ability to make independent judgments using sound engineering principles and techniques with leadership guidance depending on the content and complexity of a situation.
* Effective interpersonal skills- ability to mentor others.
* Demonstrate discretion, confidentiality, independent judgment and professionalism when representing the company.
* Ability to undertake project leadership/ownership.
* Require some supervision for completion of tasks, depending on their nature.
* Available for travel up to 10-20% of the time, including day, overnight and international travel as required.
* Demonstrate strong problem solving skills and the ability to make sound technical decisions.
* Demonstrate ability to assemble and present technical presentations in support of technology exchange.
* Demonstrate day-to-day self-directed project activity organization in accordance with software development procedures.
* Require little supervision for completion of tasks.
* Demonstrate a strong understanding of software programming techniques; Ability to utilize this level of understanding to creatively and efficiently design software for products and assemblies based on various applications and technologies.
* Demonstrate detailed knowledge of programming techniques for multiple software languages, including but not limited to: C/C++, Assembly, basic, Visual Basic, HPVEE, Perl, etc.
* Demonstrate analytical skills and advanced troubleshooting of software code and interface circuits.
* 5+ years of experience in electronics manufacturing, developing product and/or application software.
* Master of advanced technologies and applications.
Benchmark is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting employment discrimination. It is our policy to take all employment actions and make all employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, citizenship status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, disability, military status, status as a disabled or other protected veteran or any other protected status under applicable law. Consistent with its obligations under applicable laws, Benchmark will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Keywords: Benchmark Electronics, Rochester , Software Engineer II, IT / Software / Systems , Rochester, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!