Food Service Manager
Company: Hy-Vee, Inc.
Posted on: November 26, 2022
At Hy-Vee our people are our strength. We promise "a helpful
smile in every aisle" and those smiles can only come from a
workforce that is fully engaged and committed to supporting our
customers and each other.Job Description:Job Title: Food Service
ManagerDepartment: GroceryFLSA: Non-ExemptGeneral Function:Provides
prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Assists food
service department managers to present the freshest most innovative
and best quality products at a competitive retail price to
- Growth mindset
- Results oriented
- Customer focused
- ProfessionalismReporting Relations:Accountable and Reports to:
District Store Director; Store Manager; Assistant Managers of Store
Operations, Perishables, and Health Wellness HomePositions that
Report to you: Market Grille Department Manager; Mia Italian
Department Manager; Hy-Chi Department Manager; Service Managers;
Chefs; Market Grille Service Staff; Night food service
employeesPrimary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by
exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer
interactions and treating customers as the most important people in
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the
encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or
elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them
by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or
- Performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the
- Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful
service to customers who call including taking product orders.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction
and a pleasant work environment.
- Reviews daily production list with department employees and
assigns tasks for completion.
- Ensures food display case product is rotated and
- Scans the kitchen area for items and areas that need to be
addressed (e.g. Coffee, salad case, cleanliness, kitchen repairs,
and safety issues) and assigns tasks to kitchen staff.
- Ensures the proper amount of staff in the kitchen department to
handle customer needs.
- Oversees food quality and presentation for all Chinese,
Italian, Restaurant and Kitchen Departments.
- Oversees inventory within all Chinese, Italian, Restaurant and
- Work with chefs and other personnel to plan menus that are
flavorful and popular with customers.
- Work with chefs for efficient provisioning and purchasing of
- Estimate food and beverage costs.
- Supervise portion control and quantities of preparation to
- Perform frequent checks to ensure consistent high quality of
preparation and service.
- Sets the department standards for customer service, employee
relations, cleanliness, sanitation, professional appearance and
- Analyzes weekly and monthly sales and trends and compares to
actuals, prepares ad projections, and writes ads.
- Work with other management personnel to plan marketing,
advertising, and any special restaurant functions.
- Monitors actions of staff and customers to ensure that health
and safety standards and liquor regulations are obeyed.
- Investigate and resolve complaints concerning food quality and
- Arrange for maintenance and repair of equipment and other
- Select or create successful menu items based on many
considerations, and assign prices based on cost analysis.
- Figures retail pricing and ensure correct pricing.
- Direct hiring, training, and scheduling of food service
- Enforce sanitary practices for food handling, general
cleanliness, and maintenance of kitchen and dining areas.
- Follows all food safety guidelines and ensures department
- Handles and satisfies customer issues.
- Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and
ensures the work area is always clean and neat, and maintains
strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to
personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.Secondary Duties and
- Assumes supervisory duties of food service employees in absence
of Department Manager or Assistant Department Manager.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Ensures pricing is competitive in the market area.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as
- Instructs, and assigns the work of others.
- Maintains standards, coordinates activities, and allocates
personnel.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Must possess excellent Hospitality skills.
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of
variables with limited standardization; interpret
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions,
decimals, and percentages.
- Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy
data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic
information; guide people and provide basic direction.Education and
Experience:High school or equivalent experience. Sanitation (Food
Safety) courses encouraged. One year of similar or related
- Must be able to physically perform medium work; exerting up to
50 pounds of force occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently, and
10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to
more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception,
color vision, and field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities:
Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing,
walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and
repetitive motions.Working Conditions:This position is frequently
exposed to a cool environment, dampness, noise from equipment, and
vibrations from some equipment. There are possible equipment
movement hazards from slicers and choppers. There is daily exposure
to cleaning chemicals and solvents. This is a fast paced work
environment.Equipment Used to Perform Job:Cash register, Slicer,
Telexon ordering machine, C.A.R.S. system, Fryers (breakfast
grill), Ovens, Steamer, Computers (Microsoft, N.T.), Fax machine,
Telephone, Copier, Calculator, Utensils, delivery van Hobart
machine, stoves, grills, toasters, chicken roaster, can opener,
griddle, chargrill, refrigerated food case, hot case, cold case,
thermometers, knives, dishwasher, ice machine, coffee maker,
scales, and pop machine. Equipment for Bar operations: tags, Napa
Technology and Aloha POS System, etc.Contacts:Has daily contact
with customers, suppliers/vendors, and the general public.
Occasional contact with federal or state regulatory agencies
regarding inspections.Are you ready to smile, apply today.
Keywords: Hy-Vee, Inc., Rochester , Food Service Manager, Hospitality & Tourism , Rochester, Minnesota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!